Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Some things that I am loving about being a mom to a toddler...

I feel like lately we have been struggling with toddler hood. And as I wallowed in some self pity last week, it was like God slapped me on the hand and said "Wake up and look at the good things, look at the fun times, look at the blessings, instead of focusing on how tough some things are right now." So I decided to write them down, here, so I'll always have them to look back on, and to re-read when those tough times arise.

I love how Aubrey refers to herself in 3rd person. She'll go around saying Aubrey (fill in the blank).

I love how helpful she is. One of her favorite things to do is help with the dishes. She loves unloading the dishwasher and drying the dishes that I wash in the sink. And I love to hear her say "Aubrey help."

I love how she'll name all the characters on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. In Aubreynese we have Mickey, Minnie, Puto, Fifi (Goofy), Pete, Daisy (pronounced in an extremely long southern drawl), and Dona Duck.

I love how she has to absolutely have certain stuffed animals go night night with her. Her entourage includes Monk-monk (a green monkey), Donnie (a stuffed pink dragon), Cookie Foster(Cookie Monster), Melmo(Elmo), Bebe Diaper (her teddy bear that she made at Build a Bear on her birthday), and Mickey. Plus her big gigi (big blanket), and her favorite hooded towel. It's pretty funny seeing her in bed with all that :)

I love how she can remember who gave her certain things. Like her pearl necklace and bracelet that her Granna and Papa gave her for her baby dedication at church. Now she doesn't remember actually receiving them of course, but we told her who got it for her, and every time she wears it she'll tell anyone who'll listen who gave it to her.

I love how she wants to be rocked every night before bed, and I see her daddy rocking her, telling her a story, while she snuggles up to him. I love how he prays with her, and how she says amen in her tiny little voice.

I love that she is appearing to be left handed. I'm not sure when handedness is official, but she does everything left handed, like coloring, brushing her teeth, holds the fork, etc.

I love how she can eat blueberries like they are going out of style.

I love how she absolutely adores shoes and hair bows.

There are so many other things I love, and I need to consistently remind myself that no matter how hard parenting is, the blessings of it are much greater.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Great post! We have days we struggle with toddlerhood as well. You are not alone!!

Nate is left-handed and although the doctor told us we wouldn't know for sure until he was 3 or 4, he favored his left hand at a very young age. Abby favors her right. :)

I feel so much better that my kid isn't the only one who goes to bed with a hooded towel. lol