This weekend something interesting happened on my friend Lauren's blog. She posted a survey...the same survey I filled out below and all was well until question number 9...the homeschool question.
Point in blank she chooses not to do it because she doesn't feel like it is a good fit for her little girl. She listed her reasons why she didn't want to do it. No big deal right? It's her blog, she should be able to write what she feels on it. She wasn't being malicious, she wasn't putting home school down, she wasn't saying homeschooling is a bad thing. She simply stated why she wouldn't do it and why it wasn't a fit for her daughter.
Now Lauren knows some people who homeschool, and let me tell you they threw an absolute fit! They didn't see it for what it was, they took it for more than it was...they took it as a personal attack. So much in fact that a longtime (we are talking 20plus years here) friend of hers completely severed all ties. Just threw the friendship away because Lauren didn't agree with her.
This got me thinking. Why did she feel the need to completely cut the friendship off because Lauren didn't agree with her. We are adults. We should understand that not everyone is going to agree with our views, or believe the same things we do. It's the beauty of being an American...we each have the freedoms to think and feel as we do. This friend told Lauren that she should have simply just said "No I will not homeschool my daughter" and left it at that. Um why? This friend wouldn't have done that...she would have listed her reasons to why she does homeschool. So why should she get to do that on her own blog, but then bless Lauren out for what she puts on her blog? It's hypocritical.
Simply put this friend sent the message: You don't agree with me, therefore you are wrong, therefore we can no longer be friends. Wow. If I severed friendships because some of my friends didn't agree with me, I'd have hardly any friends. The fact that lots of my friends have different viewpoints and thoughts and beliefs is intriguing to me. I find it to make for good conversations, and the fact that we can respect each other even if we disagree. That's part of being a friend. This is something I was taught from a young age.
I guess I feel like your blog is your blog. It's a place for you to write your thoughts and such. As long as you are not malicious, or abusing something then what does it matter what you write. And if someone does feel the need to comment on it because they just disagree so much, then that's fine too. But do it in a respectful way, and realize that you just need to agree to disagree.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
Thanks Candi!
Post a Comment