Friday, May 21, 2010

Anger...it can getcha!

I am so drained at the moment. I'm not going to delve into the dirty details on here, but a cousin of mine is going through a messy divorce. His soon to be ex wife is airing out the dirty laundry on facebook, and writing messages to all of my family on facebook giving details, and none of us want to be involved. She is dragging us into this, then getting mad on facebook saying people are telling my cousin what is going on.
Well she accused me of being the one who told. It was not me. I have ignored everything she has sent me. I should have just defriended her, I knew that would bite me in the butt. But either way she thinks it's me.
So I sat down, thought out what I wanted to say in a mature fashion, and wrote how I felt to her, telling her it was not me. I should have known you can't rationalize with an irrational person. I woke up to an angry hate email in my facebook inbox this morning. Great way to start a Friday right? She had so much anger and hurt in her that half of the email was a rambling mess that didn't make a ton of sense.
What I am not proud to say is that I let it get the best of me. I was shaking with anger and I popped off the first response I could. Stupid stupid me. I should have just let it go. But no, I couldn't, because I don't like people saying things that aren't true.
Why do I let things like that get to me? After I had thought about it I wrote her back, telling her that I didn't handle that like I should, and that I just didn't want to be involved. I refused to continue arguing with her over it. I told her she had hurt me, but I'd get over it, and that I hope she found peace with her life and that her and my cousin could handle this civilly for their boys sake.
But I am still mad at myself for letting her get to me. It makes me just as bad to let things like that get to me, and to say things back. I should have just let it go, and went about my business. I am glad I at least apologized for my behavior, and then I promptly defriended her. I think if she is going to post the things she posts about my cousin on there that she needs to delete all of his family members off her friends list. It just makes it awkward to see the things she puts.
My question is as humans why do we let people like that get to us?

1 comment:

Lauren said...

good question...it is very hard to distance yourself from something when you know that what is being said regarding you is false. Amazing that even as adults, people still act like 8 year olds isn't it?