Sunday, October 18, 2009

Birth Story and a few pictures!

We went in at 9:30pm on Tuesday night 10/13. They got me checked in, set up in my birthing suite, and got the Cervadil started at 11:15pm. By 1:15 am I was having contractions. Most of them were situated in my back.

They gave me some pain medicine in my IV and an Ambien about 2:30am. I was able to doze off and on. At 6am my doctor came in, checked me (I was still at 0cm) and went ahead and started the pitocin. The contractions continued to get stronger and stil were mainly in my back, meaning they never let up. I was getting no brake from the pain. I tried different positions, and the only one that eased it a tiny bit was on all fours, but it was still very painful.

About 9am they told me that I needed to stay on my left side because the baby's heartbeat was decelerating when I laid on my back, or on my right side. They had continuoulsy checked me and I wasn't budging...always 0 cm! It was getting frustrating.

At 11:30am I was miserable. I decided to go ahead and get the epidural at that point because the back labor just wasn't easing up at all, it was getting stronger and stronger and nothing else was working to ease it up. It was instant relief! Getting the epi really wasn't as bad as I thought itd be although I was nervous about staying still while he did it. But except for some pressure when the needle was being inserted and some mild burning while the medicine went in it wasn't bad at all.

About 1:15 my doctor came in again to check me. Yet again I was still at 0cm. I couldn't believe it. He told me that we could continue with the pitocin and see if I was going to progress, or we could do a c-section. I had been in labor for almost 13 and a half hours at this point. I asked both him and the nurse whether they truly felt if I was going to start progressing. I figured they had seen cases like these before and I was feeling pretty hopeless of things naturally happening.

So I decided to go ahead with the c-section. It amazed me at how fast things moved then. I decied roughly around 1:30 to go ahead with the section, they had me in the operating room by 2pm. They got Wes ready, me ready, and 2:19pm Aubrey was born. It was the most surreal moment of my life so far.

I spent an hour in recovery before they took me back to my room. I finally got to hold my daughter at about 4:30pm when they brought her in to me. I really liked how the nurses made everyone leave our room, but me and Wes so we could have an alone moment when they first brought her in.

Recovery is going okay. I have had a similar surgery before when I had my left fallopian tube, and a cyst removed 4 years ago, so I kinda knew what to expect. In fact they made this incision righ above the old incision. I knew to get moving as soon as possible, and even though it is painful I have been trying to do it.

My mom is staying with us and is super helpful, and Wes has been amazing. He stayed with me the entire 4 nights we were in the hospital, getting me anything I needed, taking perfect care of me. I am so thankful for him!

Aubrey is amazing. I never knew how much you could love somone until she was born. This little girl has completed my world. She's a good eater, and only gets fussy when she is hungry or wants her diaper changed. She is most alert in the morning. She loves to just look around, and she loves to be talked to. She's also a cuddler. She has her daddy wrapped around that little finger already :) We have been so blessed.

I have posted pictures on my facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=5&aid=9619&id=100000011623706#/album.php?aid=9619&id=100000011623706

Here's a couple of my faves!

Her grumpy face!






4 comments:

Monica said...

Yay for a wonderful birth story. I know you were hoping to delivery the good ol' fashioned way, but it doesn't matter in the end how Aubrey came out, just that she's here, safe & sound!

She's a cutie & I'm glad you guys are totally smitten. Babies have a way of doing that to ya!

Lettie said...

Congratulations! She is so cute. Love those cheeks!
How much did she weigh?

Colleen said...

Congratulations, again! She's gorgeous. I'm sorry the induction wasn't more successful but I'm glad both you and Aubrey are healthy and safe. If you ever want to talk about it, you know I'm always here, I know a c-section can be disappointing even though the end result is wonderful. I'm glad she's a good eater for you and hope her pediatrician appointment goes well!!

Candi said...

Lettie she weighed 7lbs 14oz's and was 19 and a half inches long. Lol sorry I forgot to put those details down :)