Thursday, February 28, 2008

Why?

Why Why Why do some pregnancy books have to scare the living crap out of you? I mean come on! Last night we went to Books A Million and I was hoping to find a copy of The Mother of All Baby books but to no avail. (Interesting note though...They have a Mother of All Toddler Books). Anyway so I pick up one called Your Baby Week by Week. So I am flipping through it. And yeah it says that like 65% of babies born vaginally have to be suctioned out, or have forceps used. And it wasn't just that scary statistic...it was the way they put it. It was like you might as well expect this.
Now I know that the use of those things are possible...but just don't scare the living daylights out of me by putting it like that. I looked at who the author was after that. It was a man. Go figure. I put that book back.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Keep this in mind when you're picking an OB and a pediatrician. It's SO IMPORTANT to have both who feel the same way you do about childbirth and childcare. My OB told me that he would turn you away if you got to the hospital before 4CM and if you didn't progress 1CM an hour he would insist on pitocin which makes the chance of c-section, forceps, vacuum, etc, quite a bit higher. So that means I'd have to progress from 4 to 10CM in 6 hours to go through labor on my body's timeline. What first time mom do you know who has had a 6 hour labor? Also, when looking for childbirthing classes, be sure to ask what they advocate. Some of the classes at the hospital assume you will have an epidural and some alternative ones assume you will not. If you can find one that agrees with you you have a lot better chance of not getting the bejezzus scared out of you, whichever way you choose to go.